Wednesday, July 02, 2008

We're Here!

After 3 hours of searching, the internet has been found!

_____

1,100 miles later, we’re here! We set off from sunny New Mexico on Saturday morning with little idea that we would encounter the worst storm I have ever driven through in my life. In the northern part of the state, it did seem a little dark, so I expected it might rain. But I didn’t expect this:

This was the biggest hail I have ever seen. Some of it was approaching golf-ball size. We pulled off the highway when it became so bad we couldn’t see, and let me tell you, hail that big is scary. I could tell that my car was getting pummeled, which is a bummer, but the hail threatening to crash through the windshield was even scarier. (My two-month-old bike was also strapped to the outside of the car.) Luckily, nothing was broken, and my car is dented but not badly.

We stayed in Denver overnight, and the next afternoon we hit the Grand Tetons. I’ve seen mountains before, but let me say, these mountains are CRAZY HUGE. They are also very spiky, so I would imagine it would hurt to be impaled on one. Check it out:

Most of us have seen pictures of beautiful landscapes, but when you are actually in one, it’s difficult to grasp that it actually exists. We finally made it to Yellowstone (which is huge, by the way.) We’re still settling in, and adjusting to the fact that we have no cell phone service, no landline phone, no cable, and of course no internet. And no dishwasher, laundry machines, or air conditioning (although we probably won’t need it – I’m going to be able to use what I knit this summer!)

Let the adventure begin!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...