Monday, October 20, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

Yesterday was my and Jason's first wedding anniversary! (I agonized for hours on how to write that sentence grammatically correctly. I still don't know if I'm right.) I'm not a huge holiday celebration person, and I knew that I didn't want to exchange presents, so I was originally at a loss on how to mark the occasion. Dinner out wouldn't be anything special... here we have the choice of Mexican restaurants or Chili's, many of which are not open on Mondays. (In fact, it seems like the restaurants here are never open. Not a very good business model if you ask me.)

I love baking, so my wedding cake was one of the aspects of wedding planning that I was really interested in. Unfortunately, the wedding cake that I got was not what I had described to the baker. I told her, "I would like a very simple cake with a beaded icing border around the edges, where the layers meet each other." The florist was going to provide flowers and artfully arrange them on the cake. Well, the florist forgot the cake flowers, and the baker ignored me and put these hideous icing swags all over my cake.

I realize that its not the ugliest cake in the world, but I had a vision that was not fulfilled. So, each year on our anniversary, I'm going to bake a cake. A really good, tasty one. Hopefully a lifetime of cakes will make up for that one ugly one.

This year I decided to go for taste rather than decoration. (After all, two people eating a multi-layer wedding cake by themselves would not be attractive.) I made a carrot cake out of the King Arthur's Baking Companion, which is the best carrot cake I have ever tasted. With cream cheese frosting, this cake is almost evilly good.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...