Sunday, September 28, 2008

Trash Collections

Many people have collections; so in this, I am not unusual. I, however, have collections of... trash. I've always been drawn to items which serve the same essential function, but have infinite variety. For example, I collected different tea bag packages for over a year to create a collage for my kitchen.

Also, I've trained Jason to always put his beer bottle caps in an empty pickle jar on the counter top. Over the past year and a half, I've accumulated almost an entire plastic freezer bag full of bottle caps. I didn't have any plans for them, until the other day when I had the brilliant idea of hot-gluing them onto a framed bulletin board.

I love getting postcards in the mail (yet another collection - I have every postcard ever sent to me. Ever. Plus a lot that I bought myself.) But, they usually sit in a basket until I put them away in a box. I've been wanting a way to display them, so my beer-cap bulletin board has been officially been dubbed "The Postcard Art Gallery." Perhaps later in the year it will become "The Christmas Card Gallery."

In my craft room, I also have boxes of keys, maps, slides, and corks. I don't know what I will use them all for; I'm just waiting for inspiration.

I also started quilting my t-shirt quilt this weekend. I mostly hate quilting, because you have to drag a whole hot, heavy quilt through the sewing machine, constantly rearranging. Now that I can see the end, however, I hope to have it finished within the next few weeks. Only 14 more squares to quilt! Oh yeah, and the binding too.

4 comments:

muchadored said...

I love the "trash" art, Sarah! The tea bag collage is such a fun idea. I might end up copying you! I've been saving my wine corks for almost a year now, and I'm hoping to get enough to fill a frame to make a trivet.

The t-shirt quilt is so cute. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Heather J. said...

Oh I love the tea label one! Go figure. LOL

:)SmileCreator said...

Hey Sarah. I love how creative you are with your "trash"! I will probably be stealing your "bottle cap" idea. I want to put a bulletin board in my kitchen -- beer caps would make it so much fun! :)

David said...

i was looking for my friend sara ranger and found your delightful blog instead! strange how the two of you share much more than just your names.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...