Sunday, June 15, 2008

Bike Commuting

Claudia over at Claudia's Blog had a brilliant idea for a project: the Bicycling As Transportation/ Knitters Alternatively Transporting ("BAT/KAT") project. Click on the link for the full story, but the goal of the project is to replace a number of car trips every week with another form of transportation, such as biking or walking. I just got a new bike, and as gas prices skyrocket, I'm more and more motivated to bike instead of drive.

Look at my new shirt: INFINITY miles per gallon, get it? Hehe.


Here are a couple of links worth checking out. If you are contemplating biking to work, this site answers a lot of questions. If you live too far from your workplace, this site will give you a list of bikeable locations in a 2-mile radius from your house (here's the YouTube video.)

If you are still wary, then you definitely need to click here: this calculator will tell you how much money you will save, how many calories you will burn, and how many pounds of toxic emissions you can save by a single bike trip. My round-trip distance to work is 7.5 miles: So if I were to bike to work just one day a week, I'd save $161.72, burn 14,040 calories, and prevent 379 pounds of emissions from entering the atmosphere. (There's also a calculator here: this one said I will only save about $60 - it's probably more accurate.)

If you are way into keeping stats, try out BikeJournal - here you can enter your distance, time, and other info on each ride, and it will all be added up and averaged for you. You can set up a goal, say ride 1,000 miles a year, and a cute little ticker will tell you how far along you are. If you are on Ravelry, there is a biking group called Two-Wheeled Knitters that is a lot of fun to follow.

4 comments:

muchadored said...

Thanks for those links! I've been biking a lot more lately, and I love the idea of the calculator. I'm a nerd, and I love lists, so this is right up my alley. Plus, it's a great motivator: any time I don't feel like biking, I'll know just how much money and carbon emissions I'll save.

Love the shirt!

thoughts said...

Great idea and a cool shirt!! I have been looking forward to walking and biking this summer when I leave pakistan and I have been doing that.. lots of walks and bus ride. I dont have a bike here but still walking or taking a bus makes you feel that I am contributing something for the society.

claudia said...

Totally love the shirt!

Lynne said...

Nice tshirt! Thanks for the links.
We ride, walk and PT commute for all our daily stuff. We've saved a lot of money and emissions in the last year (pity about the enforced plane flights).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...