Sunday, May 18, 2008

Quilt, Chips, Bike

For years I've been saving up all the XL t-shirts (mostly) given to me for free. On almost every occasion, the person handing it to me looked at my 4'10" self and said, "Well, I guess you can use it as a night shirt!" Instead I decided to make them into a quilt:

If you can see the date on the blue shirt, you can see "1993". . . so I really do mean I've been saving these for years. I still need to add a border around the outside, and of course quilt it. I'm not really sure how I'm going to quilt it, since the squares are 12" and you need to quilt every 4-5" at least. I'm thinking of just quilting a smaller square into the middle of each large one.

Have you ever been to Big Lots? It's a pretty gross store, but they do have the most hilarious products. Such as this:

Haha! I just love the expression on the guy's face on the right.

And... my new bike!! I've been wanting a new bike since I bought a $20 clunker 2 years ago. I was torn between a road bike and something less road-y, but I finally settled on this hybrid. It has shocks, which are great for the horrible asphalt 'round these parts. And air actually stays in the tires! I have a new goal of buying 1 tank of gas a month, and I've already clocked about 50 miles on this thing. (More on bikes in a future post.)

4 comments:

Emily said...

Oooh great bike! I've been trying to bike my commute most days to cut down on gas buying, too. Those snacks are hilarious, and I'm typing this underneath my mostly-scrap-including-tshirts quilt. Cheers!

reluctantMANGO said...

ROFL
Rap snacks are pretty popular in Wilmington, where my sis used to teach. I may just have to use your photo into an iron-on t shirt. too funny!

Yarn Mama... said...

Wow! That is so awesome! I would love to do that with some of my sons' shirts. I only made one quilt, I don't even know if I got the chance to show you before you left. I also think I would do that with some of my concert T-shirts, as I don't think I would walk around with a Bon Jovi t-shirt from 1986!
And I've never seen those chips. Def. have to show the hubby!

Dove Knits said...

I love the quilt! I wish I had the patience and sewing skills to do that to my shirts, but instead, I just got rid of them :)

Those chips are hillarious. I can't wait to show my husband.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...