Sunday, January 24, 2010

FO: The Warmest Hat in the World

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have done it. I have created The Warmest Hat in the World. (Don't worry, this isn't like a Highlander "There Can Be Only One" type thing. There are other warm hats out there.) I started with the Thorpe pattern, and then added a star pattern that I made all by my little self. I modified the earflaps as well; the original were a little too Roman gladiator for my taste.

I used 100% wool yarn from Finland - it was gifted to me without a label, so I'm using my powers of animal fiber recognition to guess. But, that wasn't enough - I also lined the hat with fleece. I used TechKnitter's tutorial, which I highly recommend.
---
Yesterday I saw a guy standing on a median holding a hand-written cardboard sign that read "Help for Haiti" and a ratty plastic can. I don't know what upsets me more, the fact that someone would use a disaster for his own personal profit, or that some people probably gave him money thinking he really was going to give it to Haiti relief. Yesterday I also saw a bus hit a parked car (which was illegally parked, so they sort of had it coming) and today I saw someone have a seizure at a bus stop. Ah, city life.

4 comments:

Amy ER said...

Love the look of wool, but it's so dang itchy! Good move with the fleece. Your "powers of animal fiber recognition" make me laugh! Need a laugh to buoy one's spirit for city life.

muchadored said...

Great hat! It definitely looks warm, and quite lovely to boot. And yes, city life is crazy. Stay safe out there!

Jax said...

Looks great! I've been waiting to see you do a nordic pattern.

joanne said...

so here's a couple random thoughts...

1) I was certain that Highlander would be the dumbest movie ever, but I quite liked it. It's so cheesy it's kinda good. I still wonder why Sean Connery signed on to be in it.

2) I am a quarter Finnish. In my whole 25 years of living in the big city of Chicago I never met another Finn. But in Carlsbad there was a Finnish heritage group that met at the Best Western every third Wed. Weird. I never went though.

3) That does look like the warmest hat in the world. Great job on the pattern!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...