Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Absence

I'm pretty sure that you all have nothing better to do than monitor the status of my blog, so you've undoubtedly noticed that I've been gone for-ev-er. I have a good excuse: I am now the proud owner of a full-time job and a 1.5 hour (each way) commute.

I have to say, I find my twice daily train ride to be quite amusing. There is the rather large woman who takes up 4 seats and every day can be observed eating something that is no doubt contributing to the severity of her condition (most recently, a giant pixy stix.) On Fridays, the drinking starts early. (I have seen many people drinking single bottles of beer; did they plan ahead for that? At 6am did they put their beer in their lunchbox and then store it in the work fridge all day?)

Oh yeah, knitting. It has happened. I was racing along on my Drops jacket, until I realized that it will still be several months until I will be able to wear a bulky, 100%-wool sweater. So that sort of put a damper on things.

My Catherine socks have been seeing the most action. They are small and portable, and the design is interesting enough to keep me motivated. I'm almost finished with one sock... but again, wearing sandals everyday doesn't necessitate new socks.

I also started this plain 'ol sock, and I'm getting tired of typing this post, so just look at the picture. You'll get the idea.

Ishbel: I is making one.

(I am now spending inordinate amounts of time thinking about random grammar issues; this apparently has impacted my ability to construct coherent sentences outside of work.)

7 comments:

muchadored said...

Congrats on the job! It sounds like the commute is sort of rough, but hopefully its being on a train helps. My mom has a similar commute, and has always loved the train, both for relaxation and people-watching purposes. So do you like it?

Heather J. said...

Glad to know all is well. That commute can be exhausting (I did that for one summer -that was enough for me) but you can get lots of books read that way. :)

petra said...

Your new commute does not sound fun, but congrats on the new job! Hope to see at knitting again soon!

Veronica said...

Yay, congrats on the new job! That's a long time to be on the Metro every day, but it does provide a lot of entertainment....
We should try and get together in our, um, copious free time.

Amy ER said...

I have *totally* been monitoring the status of your blog. Wondering more about your new job. It must be a charming one to entice you to commute so far! I'm very glad you're the sort of person who has four knitting projects and a long reading list to resort to during your commute. You know, instead of eating giant pixy stix.

Kristin J said...

I think a giant pixy stix would dwarf you. Very pretty color choices for you knitting. I wish I had the patience to see a knitting project through completion.

I am curious about the neat home improvement/decorating projects you have going on.

joanne said...

There are many old pasty men on vacation that would vehemently disagree with your statement that sandals do not necessitate socks!

I am sure that the commute does kinda suck, and is definately a big change, and even though I do not know where you are working I am sure that it is much better than the Carlsbad Current-Argus (motto: a letter to the editor a day quoting the bible, keeps Satan away!)

By the way, I saw Jason's name in the Arrowhead yesterday, what a famous guy!

Enjoy big city life.

p.s the pixy stick story reminded me of the gyus I have seen standing at the intersection of Montana and Airport Rd in El Paso selling them in the middle of the street. What a sad life. Having to sell pixy sticks to support your crack habit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...