Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Summertime

Summer unofficially starts on Memorial Day, which this year also happened to be mine and Jason's birthday. Whenever I tell someone that my husband and I have the same birthday, they usually say something like, "Really? That's cool/weird/neat/a coincidence!" What it really means is that every year I'm going to have to make my own birthday cake. The conversation usually goes something like this:
S: What kind of birthday cake do you want this year?
J: I don't know, what kind of birthday cake do you want?
S: Are you going to make me a cake this year?
J: What? I have to make my own birthday cake?
S: What? I have to make MY own birthday cake?
And then I bake a cake, because Jason says something like, "You are better at baking than I am. Your cake would turn out much better." (Apparently a statement he intends to use to get out of baking anything until death do us part)

That was a long way to say that I made an ice cream cake this year, and even though it turned out tasty, next time I'll remember to freeze the cake before layering in the ice cream. (Whoops.)

Yesterday I went strawberry picking, and came back with nearly 7lbs. Half have gone into the freezer, and half will go into my mouth. (But not all at the same time.)

There was also spinning! For years I have put off spinning for fear of acquiring yet another fiber hobby. But, many of the ladies in my knitting group are also spinners, and they made me do it. I believe there were threats of violence. So, I borrowed a spindle and mooched some fiber, and got to work.Above are my first and second attempts - not too bad! But, man, is this time consuming. I don't know if I will ever become addicted to spinning, but I am glad to be learning. When we run out of oil and the rest of you are cold, I will be wearing cozy hand-spun-and-knit sweaters.

9 comments:

joanne said...

Perhaps you could take up a new sport/hobby: spinning while spinning. You know, ride stationary bicycles in a gym setting while spinning some yarn.

And don't feel bad about the birthday situation, Iffy and I have different birthdays and I still make my own cake every year, apparently I can mix a box of Duncan Hines better then he ever possibly could.

muchadored said...

Happy birthday! And the spinning looks great; I can't believe that's your first try!

Julie said...

Happy Birthday! :)

Shelby said...

Happy belated birthday!! Glad to see you spinning! It's sooo relaxing once you get into it. Now you just need a wheel! We've already broken a few of the gals, I guess you are next! :)

Fun to see you last night! Hope you can come to dyeing day on the 14th!

Amy ER said...

Food and fiber both look REALLY good. If you can get the stationary bike Joanne mentioned to run the freezer so your strawberries keep, you are totally set for the collapse of society! (We always thought Rattlesnake Springs would be an ideal setting for that...pecans, wild asparagus, deer, turkeys, water...)

petra said...

Happy Belated Birthday! It stinks that you have to make your own cake, but at least you'll always get what you want, right?

Yay for strawberries and spinning! So fun! Maybe we'll get you a wheel at Sheep and Wool next year!

Veronica said...

Happy belated birthday! The cake (and strawberries) look delicious.

Heather J. said...

Sarah - Thanks for letting me know that you're reading THE BEEKEEPER'S APPRENTICE! I'm so glad that you are enjoying it - I'd never heard of it before reading about it on a blog myself. I'm almost ready to start the latest book in the series, THE LANGUAGE OF BEES, and you know I'll have a review up after I finish. :)

petunialu said...

um spindly goodness! Mine has been away for a few months. I should get it out.

Last year, I refused to plan anything for my own birthday, and a friend ended up stopping at the grocery store to get a cake on his way over. My husband is awesome, but he doesn't do birthday cake either.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...