Monday, April 06, 2009

Cherry Blossoms

As new residents of the Washington, D.C. area we were required to go see the cherry blossoms. I knew it would be crowded, but figured I should drag myself over there this year so that next year I can legitimately make sarcastic comments about the invading tourists. I know it is probably illegal not to be impressed by the cherry blossoms, but I was just "meh" about them. For starters, I'm not a huge flower person, and in general I'm suspicious of things that a lot of people like. (For example, Twilight. Seriously? That book sucked. As does American Idol.) There were also a ton of strollers creating a nerve-wracking situation, what with the crowded path and lack of barrier at the edge of the water.

You should ignore me and look at these pictures instead.



8 comments:

muchadored said...

I definitely understand what you're saying. I lived in DC 5 years, and never made it to the festival. Of course, I didn't need to; we had cherry blossoms all over our campus and there were a bunch in my neighborhood, so I enjoyed them in less crowded areas.

I loved DC so much, but the tourists did drive me crazy at times.

Amy ER said...

Well, the photos make it *look* lovely. Good thing you took pics so I don't have to actually go and brave the throngs myself!

Kristin J said...

I'll say it. You're crazy woman! Look at those flowers. So beautiful. You should just develop a group mentality and learn to love flowers and crowds of people pushing their noisy obnoxious babies in over sized strollers through "nature".

Emily said...

I did love cherry blossoms when they would come out in Oregon... but thank you!!... I thought the Twilight book was poorly done and way not worth the hype. ;-)

Veronica said...

I never made it to the festival, but I LOVE the cherry blossoms. Next year try the National Arboretum - same cherries, no loony crowds (so I've been told).

joanne said...

Well, the flowers ARE pretty.

Do they ramp up the rangers in the area when the flowers bloom ala GUMO and the fall colors?

thoughts said...

Hey,you are back on teh east coast. I am missing DC after looking at your pictures. Enjoy teh east coast!

knittinandnoodlin said...

I'm just catching up on my blogs and I missed the cherry blossoms!

So pretty!

I'm with you -- if people like it, it generally scares me into staying away. I've had that come back to bite me, as in Harry Potter. =)

Love the shot of the flowers over the water!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...