Thursday, August 25, 2011

Scarf Parade

A while ago I realized that I was a slow knitter, and that if I wanted new warm things to wear in the winter, I best get started while it's still warm out. That logic makes sense, until you get the part where it's 100 degrees outside and you're stuck with a lapfull of wool. So, no sweaters here, but it's looking like my neck will be warm, at least, and protected from vampires!

First up is the Cotton Seeds cowl, if I can even call it that. I did cast on the proscribed number, but after about 10 rows I gave up on 205-stitch rounds of seed stitch. Even though I tried to keep at the stitches straight when I joined in the round, I ended up with an unintentional double-mobius. Oh well, it's hard to tell when it's all scrunched up anyway. The yarn was a gift from a friend (and a non-knitting friend at that!) and is Manos del Uruguay Wool Classica. This is what it looks like looped twice around:

And three times around:

I would show you 4 times around, but no one was around to revive me after I fainted due to constricted blood flow to the brain.

Next is the Boneyard Shawl, which I actually finished back in (coughcough) February. While those dinky shawlettes that are all the rage in knitting-land can be cute, they don't really cut it when it comes to actually providing warmth. I used two whole skeins of Cascade Heritage Paints sock yarn.

And stylishly thrown around my neck like all the kids are wearing scarves these days:

Finally, there is the Greyhaven cowl, which is eating my face!

I survived. It's made out of Berocco Ultra Alpaca that I bought in Little Rock. I also did an extra repeat for maximum scrunchability.

All of this should not be taken to mean that I actually want it to be cold. I am so OVER cold. I am over snow. But apparently the climate does not take my wishes into consideration (although it should), and so I will cocoon myself in knits until I emerge, pasty white, sometime next April.

9 comments:

Julie said...

They're all wonderful. I really love the color of the first one. :)

mick said...

Protection from vampires is good, as is warmth. I'm the same way about those little shawls; I always add repeats to mine, too. Lovely FOs!

Nandi said...

I love the fact your books are color coordinated. Awesome knitting btw.

Kristin J said...

Beautiful! With all the warm knits you may even be able to further drop your home temp down to 50 degrees this winter. ;-)

Amy Eber Roe said...

I am now in scarfland - the weather and the people are cool enough to wear scarves. If only I had your scarf knitting/wearing skills!

Nicole said...

These are all beautiful! And making me think about knitting things other than socks!

Andrew said...

You never look at the camera. Very Emo.

Kelly said...

I'm so impressed with your skills! The boneyard scarf is GORGEOUS. Now if I could only transplant everything YOU know into MY head, I'd be SET.

ElizabethLacy said...

I love the texture of the grayhaven cowl.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...