Thursday, February 12, 2009

Countdown

When I found out we were moving 2 months ago, it seemed like I had forever to prepare. Now, I have two weeks! Luckily, we experienced a real estate miracle and sold the house in less than 24 hours. Movers have been scheduled, and I just returned from a scouting trip to our new city. We will be moving into a great apartment that is next to Trader Joe's and an art supply store! (Here, the nearest Trader Joe's is 4 1/2 hours away.) I also began my house hunting. While some may have been depressed after seeing what is in our price range, I thought the situation to be totally hilarious. It is difficult to explain, so I will just show you this.

That, my friends, is BLACK MOLD. According to the linked website, "The health risks associated with mold exposure include, but are not limited to: allergic reactions, irritation associated with volatile organic compounds (VOCs), invasive disease, mycotoxicosis." Anyway, unless I want to live in a former crack house that may or may not cause my lungs to explode, we're going to start looking in some areas further out from DC. I'm pretty sure I saw some people stripping a stolen car across the street from one of the houses I looked at.

In knitting news, Joanne asked to see the inside of my Inga hat.

If you squint, you can see the pattern in reverse. Also, I have been working on my February Lady Sweater.

This was first a Cropped Cardigan with Leaf Ties, but after I separated the sleeves and knitted some of the body, I tried it on. The result looked something like a German milkmaid. I thought I should be running through the hills singing, "High on the hill was a lonely goat herd" and prancing around to polka music. I immediately ripped the whole thing out and started knitting the February Lady Sweater. I was terrified of lace, but it really is a whole lot easier than I thought. The pattern repeats are only 7 stiches, so I can finish one without getting lost.

Now for the hardest part... which yarns do I pack for my apartment and which do I leave for the moving van? I know, my life is so stressful.

8 comments:

muchadored said...

Tough luck with the houses! The DC area is kind of rough.

I have family that lives in Nottingham and Crofton, both in southern MD nearish to DC. They're both pretty nice areas, and far enough out that the prices are less terrifying. Might be worth checking out.

I love the FLS (I abbreviate everything). What a gorgeous color!

Good luck with the house hunt :)

Kristin J said...

I can't imagine trying to sell a home with black mold. You must have just laughed at the realtor showing you the homes.

Good luck with the house hunting. I am sure you will find a great home.

No worries about packing the right yarns, you will have so many yarn stores to shop in you will probably end up going hog-wild yarn shopping.

joanne said...

thanks for posting the picture of the hat in reverse!

As far as the house goes... If the moldy one comes with the air mattress i would say it's a keeper, those mattresses can be upwards of 70 dollars. Mycotoxmosis (sp?) is a small price to pay for a sweet aerobed.
Congrats on your speedy sale by the way.

And I am super jealous of your apartment location!

Amy said...

Hooray for the real estate miracle in step one of your moving process. At least you'll be poised to commit when you DO find the perfect house in the DC area.

The house shopping thing does sometimes involve compromising your ideals, but I applaud you for saying no to black mold. Though the black does provide nice contrast with the pink paint ;).

Heather J. said...

yeah, prices out here in Maryland pretty much suck. You'll have to come farther into the suburbs to get anything remotely affordable ... best of luck to you!

Veronica said...

Good luck with it all! That mold is horrific.

I'm glad to see your FLS coming along and to hear that everything else is going pretty well. Maybe I'll get to see you soonish!

saragal said...

I've seen the FLS around, and am feeling tempted! Good luck on the move- no matter how much you think the yarn thing out, you will always want the stuff you didn't bring... you could just keep all of it with you and forgo things like, oh say, clothes!

isabell566 said...

GROSS! I had a black mold issue at my last apartment. It wasn't anywhere near as visible as that, but I found out the hard way that I am allergic! So glad I got out of there, as my landlord refused to hire someone to remove the mold.

Kelsey with your black mold guide

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...