Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Finished: Hermione's Everyday Socks


More socks! I feel like I keep knitting socks, but I don't actually gain any, because for every new pair an old pair gets discontinued. I do have small feet, but my old socks have shrunk so much they could fit toddlers' feet. These have been my traveling project for the last 6 months, and have been exciting places such as a National's baseball game, Nova Scotia, and the outlet mall.

Pattern: Hermione's Everyday Socks (free, and super-easy)
Needles: size 1 DPNs
Yarn: Paton's Kroy Socks FX from Joann's (I am an equal-opportunity yarn buyer)
Raveled!


It's only after looking at this picture that I'm realizing how different in color these socks are. Oh well, I doubt anyone will notice.


Help me out here. I've been in a reading slump since the beginning of the year. The problem is that I've read every book. Yep, all of them. Tell me what to read! Here are the books I've read 400 times each:
  • Teenager living in a dystopian society gets thrown into a situation where she has to be plucky to survive
  • Slightly abrasive-yet-loveable detective solves a murder
  • Single woman living in the middle ages/colonial America/World War I breaks gender barriers
  • Someone eats locally/hikes a trail/travels to exotic locations for a year
  • Comedian/TV personality shares humorous anecdotes about their life
I'm generally not interested in vampires, werewolves, lands populated by creatures other than humans, and space, but hey, if an awesome book exists out there with those themes, recommend it. But for the love of God do not tell me to read Twilight.

4 comments:

rectangularnomore said...

Totally love the socks. I've been trying to decide if I want to knit a pair myself.

As for books.... if you don't mind delving into YA lit, then there's a 4-part series called "The Enchanted Forest Chronicles" by Patricia C. Wrede, and is about a Princess that refuses to be proper. She instead goes and becomes cook and librarian for a dragon.

Even though you said you're not a fan of fantasy/scifi stuff, I recommend this series because it turns fairy tales on its head. For a more adult version of the same thing, there's a series by Mercedes Lackey called "Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms" and each book turns a different traditional fairy tale on it's head.

Veronica said...

Woo socks!

Things I've enjoyed reading recently:
Sea of Poppies and River of Smoke, by Amitav Ghosh;

The Magicians and The Magician King, by Lev Grossman (but not his other stuff);

Nearly anything by China Mieville;

Stone's Fall by Iain Pears;

and the latest by Neal Stephenson, Anathem and Reamde.

muchadored said...

I read a few books this year that were absolutely wonderful. One was "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. It has some otherworldy bits to it, but not werewolves. It's more like mythology. I also loved "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao." Holy crap, that was a good book. And finally, I love pretty much anything by Tom Robbins, particularly "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues," "Still Life With Woodpecker," and "Jitterbug Perfume." I'll reread those. They're that good.

Susan said...

I hate having a reading slump. I had that happen earlier this year. Some books I've really enjoyed in the past:

"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Sacks." by Rebecca Skloot

"Homeland" by Barbara Hambly

"Last Days of Ptolemy Gray" by Walter Mosley

"Something Missing" by Matthew Dicks

Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...