Friday, May 06, 2011

Home Improvement: Craft Room

Jason always gets after me for saying, in regard to the house, "I love the colors, I'm not changing any of them!" and then proceeding to change them all. I have now repainted the entire basement. No matter what I say, I will never be "done" decorating the house.
The final room was my craft bunker (so-called because it is in the basement and does not have any windows). The green on the walls and the florescent light made everything look sickly. In incarnation one, I had a Target bookcase that literally fell apart, and a kitchen table for a workspace.

Then, I got a larger Ikea desk on craiglist from a guy who was moving to Norway the next day. I don't know, maybe in Norway your neighbors will scoff at you for owning Ikea stuff. "Sweden? Really Erik? Have some self-respect."

The panels on the bottom were straight-up glued to the wall. I have no idea what was going on there. I did a ton of cutting in and priming.

Before you have a heart attack that I painted something gray instead of a bright color, remember what I said about this room not having any windows? I don't want to feel like I'm sewing in a coffin. The walls are Martha Stewart Whetstone Gray (color matched to Behr), and the white is off-the-shelf Behr white in semi-gloss. It took 4, FOUR coats to cover up the dark green.

I replaced the light, as you saw in my previous post, and covered a bulletin board (more on that later.) The result is a craft bunker that I actually want to be in, and will be a pleasant place should we ever have to take cover from a tornado.

8 comments:

Amy Eber Roe said...

I'm jealous of the dedicated space, no matter what the color! I see a pretty quilt square in the making...

Charley said...

You are wonderfully organized. Your craft room looks great!

Holly said...

Great job Sarah!! As someone without a designated craft zone, I frequently end up spreading out my craft paraphernalia over (and sometimes beyond) the dining room table. I definitely aspire to someday have a craft room of my own.

Marsha S said...

It looks beautiful and a great room to work in!
We recently bought our own home and I turned the 3rd bedroom into my craft room. There were already 3 shelves on the wall and I put in 2 plastic shelving units.
I use a long folding table for my work space and have another one that I put up when I am pinning a quilt.
I also have a chest of drawers in the room for the grandkids' clothes and 3 small bookshelves.
Right now the room is a disaster area as we had a baby shower for my middle daughter and sent all the kids in that room to play during the shower!
I love love love having a room of my own for crafting....now if I can just figure out how to find the time to actually go work in it.

Alyssa said...

Wow! So organized! I love it! Especially the shelves, we had two, but we sold them before I had my repurposing brain lodged in!

Halo Hill said...

Rock ON! (I'm old, don't know why I still say that, I just do)! :) Anyway good for you! It is awesome! Can't wait to get mine done. We're moving soon and then I'll get it squared away! I don't think it will look this calm and collected though! Yay!

Sheila

Katie said...

Your room looks great! I'm like you, I usually love bright walls - but I love the subtle grey/white walls with big pops of color with your accessories! It turned out so cute!

Michelle said...

I'm all for grey on the walls and bringing in pops of colour with the accessories. Isn't it great having a craft room everyone gets funky wrapped pressies and handmade cards now I love having my own space for this. Great job :) Popping over from Remodelholic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...